Thursday, March 11, 2010

Reverse Sexyism



The radio has never been a safe place for kids.

From Elvis onward, innuendos have ruled the airwaves, acting as the almighty urban dictionary of our time. MTV certainly didn't make things any better, as now you could say really dirty things and look like a slut at the same time.

Now, I ain't going to lie- when I was younger I dug it. But these artists are going completely overboard now. And it's not just the men. Shoot, I remember I wasn't allowed to watch MTV because Boyz II Men had a video called I'll Make Love to You that was pretty self-explanatory.


But now the ladies are seizing their sexual independence; I just think they're going a little overboard. It starts with the sex tapes, then the accidental naked pictures that get out, and then these girls feel the need to top themselves, or at least Lil' Kim.


We talked earlier about some of the ridiculous things that artists like 16 year old Justin Bieber was saying in songs- like trying to snag a girlie's V-Card while her parents weren't paying attention, but I think Ms. Rihanna is taking the cake.

First she has this song.


Sample lyrics:

"Yo, Young Jeezy, get hard."
"Yo Rihanna, I'm hard."
"Yo, Dewey Cox, walk hard all over my barbed-wire covered body."


Is this really what kids need to be hearing in order to empower them?

I shook it off, mostly because Rihanna shoots a machine gun in the air while wearing nipple tape as a shirt. But her new song, Rude Boy, is absolutely ridiculous.


Sample lyrics:
"Yo rude boy, get it up. Is it big enough yet? How about now? All right, good. Now take it, take it, take it, take it, take it. Giddy up, ride me, giddy up. Give it to me, you know, like boom boom boom."

What happened to suggestive metaphors about the plumber fixing the pipes?

And this is all stemming off of that crazy whooping that Chris Brown gave her. Who would have thought that he would have turned his girlfriend into such a horndog?

Digg this

4 comments:

Jay-z said...

This from the guy who started the blumpkin reading material? How come rhianna can't sing about getting hard but easy can sing about getting a nut?

DutchMasters said...

Because Gimme that Nut isn't on the radio.

He's trying to shock you with obvious lyrics, whereas Rihanna doesn't say a certain word so she can have a #1 single that would make Madonna check herself.

DutchMasters said...

And don't even get me started on that Lil Wayne song "Bed Rock."

Who are they kidding? Is this supposed to be a lullaby to rock your baby to sleep?

DutchMasters said...

A couple of great articles that talk about the same subject-

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/editorials/id.1510/title.lets-stay-together

http://www.examiner.com/x-10519-RB-Music-Examiner~y2010m2d26-Is-chivalry-dead-in-RB