Saturday, September 12, 2009

Kanye's Greatest Hits Album






I was thinking how much better late registration would been with can't tell me nothing, Barry bonds, everything I am. Songs that sound similar to the late registration era kanye- put celebration, we major and bring me down on graduation where they belong with drunk and hot girls. If he can do that kind of an album, that's the kind of thing that could rival chronic 2001 more than detox ever could

Here's what I'm thinking.

I've put together what I figure, so far, off his solo albums, his best songs are. This list is skewed towards the best production he's done, as well as the fact that I prefer Kanye when he's a little more introspective and less full of braggadocio. Here's what I'm thinking.

Kanye West presents his Good Ass Job

A greatest hits album, from the fan who doesn't want to hear some songs anymore

1.) Good Morning
Best intro he's done. Every piece is so well thought out, from the killer Elton John sample to bringing in Hov at the end.

2.) We Don't Care
Best first song he's ever done. Such a slap in the face to everyone who says he isn't a rapper and such a funny invitation to listen to his style of music.

3.) Touch the Sky
The best biggest song he's done. Also probably the only single of his that I don't get tired of. Just Blaze is the king of these tracks. I really wish he would stop making songs like Live Your Life and All of the Above and come back to dope horn samples. Show Me What You Got really knocked him.

4.) Drive Slow Strings Remix
As much as I love the album version, the strings remix is out of control. I really wish he had put it on the album. From the chopped and screwed drums to putting on Paul Wall. I could do without the TI at the end of the remix though.

5.) My Way Home
It'd tough to break up that back to back combo from Late Registration. Also, because these have all had collaborations- might as well put them all together. A big part of what makes Kanye's tracks work so well is that he works well with others. They push him hard.

6.) Spaceship
Man, this record is so smooth. And get some more collabos out of the way. Glc kinda like a Memphis bleek. It amazes me that this was an added song on the album, and wasn't there originally. I try to imagine what College Dropout would have been like if it hadn't been leaked and he didn't go back and redo it.

7.) Can't Tell Me Nothing
I feel like it's a weird enough record, but still is a big song. Similar to Mr. Carter, faking a sample by tweaking some vocals. Still not sure what she's saying at the end of the bars though. This song is on the list because after I saw Kanye live perform it, I realized how BIG a song it is.

8.) Barry Bonds
I'd follow this with Bonds because now the record can come back down again. Also, these two were a great tandem on the Graduation album, much like Drive slow and My Way Home. Also, another great guest beat from Nottz- probably one of his best.

9.) Addiction
A nice little change of pace and sound. I think this song comes out of Kanye's best type of music, between being totally honest with yourself and bragging about everything. When he taps into that, the music is something else. Also, what a great sample, and probably the first time we got to hear the new Kanye- listen to the drums on this track. So clean.

10.) Bad News
Well, i think it will blend nice into the next song, in terms of telling a story. Tracks 1 through 3 are that intro, the rise of a hero, track 4-6 show him trying to stay grounded but then, pride before the fall, followed 7-9, the real consequences of the lifestyle. This was the first song on 808's that, when I listened to it the first time, I was really vibing with. Great drum sample.

11.) Roses
Really take it down. This song is just so well done- except for mentioning Amerie for no reason. Another one of Kanye's best produced tracks- might be my favorite of his.

12.) Everything I Am
It's basically that moment where you try to really fix everything, because you see how close you were to losing it all. And Kanye will never be as laid back as this beat.

13.) Streetlights
Kind of uplifting get you ready to go big again. Another of the few songs that I could really sign on with when I first listened to 808's. The problem, or the difficulty, with Kanye is that a lot of the music really has to take you over. It always catches your ear at first, but not necessarily in a good way.

14.) Slow Jamz
Probably the only other single I can still throw a bone too. It's got a weird yet interesting enough sound that it works. A really knockout r&B/hip hop groove. And the world's first experience of a Kanye West single. It was a beautiful piece of work. And Kanye's best rhyme: "Got a light-skinned friend look like michael Jackson, got a dark skinned friend look like Michael Jackson."

15.) Gone
This is Kanye's best last song. I don't think anyone else could attempt something this big and knock it out like Kanye did, from production to concept to guests. "and if they ever flip sides like Anakin" and the strings change and get dark. Unbelievable. Also, it shows that he didn't need the game to live the good life, so he leaves it all behind.

Bonus track: Getting out the Game
Kanye, you used to make songs like this.

Second Bonus Track for International Version: Haters
That's the kind song you make when you're at the hip hop retirement community using the karaoke machine. And that's what a bonus track should be. A look into the future.

And I think that Tracy Morgan should narrate Kanye West's life CD.
Digg this

No comments: