Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tales from the Tailgate

I'm really not much of a sports fan, but when given the opportunity to see live sporting events, I can muster up some spirit. Well, I didn't actually get to see the Hawkeyes play in Kinnick Stadium--instead I got to meander through the crowds of adoring fans. Fans who look like this:


And this:


Now, there are currently about 30,000 students at the University of Iowa. And tailgating is a tradition probably as old as organized sports.

It really blew my mind to walk towards the stadium and see a huge sea of yellow. Throngs of people gathered around old pick-up trucks, massive RVs, little Hawkeye tents, and tables laden with food and beverage. It really is an unforgettable experience to be among thousands of people who are as drunk as Uncle Marty at an Irish wake....at 10am. Actually, the true Hawkeye gets the party started upon the first crow of the rooster (I think that's like 6am for non-farming folk).

Cock-a-doodle-doo, let's get wasted!...

...with John Kerry?

Well, I think the best part of my foray into tailgating, besides counting how many black-and-yellow striped overalls I saw or smelling big ass turkey legs (their offical name), was when my friend almost got beat up by one of the drunkest girls I have ever seen. She tried to start a fight when she sat down next to my friend and tried to talk to us. Her eyes were half-open, her words were slurred, and she was fully decked out in black and gold. When we got up, she said to my friend, "Yea, you better leave. You know I could beat you up, b*tch." We sure dodged that bullet.

I do hope to get to go to another tailgating event-- I'd down Yagerbombs and pigs-in-a-blanket with the rest of them. All I need is a sweet pair of overalls.




Digg this

No comments: